We are supported by our readers, and we may get a commission at no extra cost to you if you buy through our site links. All opinions remain our own.
Marketing project management is a working system that provides the framework to plan and execute marketing projects to completion. When an organization looks toward executing projects such as marketing campaigns and product launches, the project management team must plan to see through the project from start to finish.
Perhaps you’re a marketing project manager; you probably know how critical planning is to the success of every marketing project. But even more importantly, all team members must be on the same page throughout the project lifecycle. They need to see their assigned tasks, communicate and collaborate effectively on the go while being overseen by you, the project manager.
Efficient marketing project management software is just what you need to streamline the entire process and gear it towards the best possible outcome.
Project Management Software Features Your Marketing Team Needs
The best marketing project management software will have certain valuable features, including:
- Time tracking
- Expense tracking
- Resource planning
- Resource management
- Reporting dashboard
So, having listed some of these critical features, what is your agency’s best marketing project management software?
Let’s look at 13 of them.
Best Marketing Project Management Software
- Toggl Plan
- Zoho Projects
ClickUp offers one of the best free plans of all marketing project management software. It is highly efficient for marketing task management, campaigns, and dealing with clients all in one place while making collaboration super easy for the marketing team.
ClickUp mainly enables marketing teams to visualize OKRs (Objectives + Key Results), a goal-setting framework that helps plan, execute, track, and achieve the company’s marketing goals.
- Proofing and annotation: for proofing, marking up, commenting on, and approving files.
- Integration: integrates seamlessly with native project management tools like Slack, Zapier, G Suite, DropBox, etc.
- Mind maps: a virtual space to brainstorm and develop marketing ideas.
- On schedule: select this setting to have your tasks run on a loop when no changes are required.
- Multiple project views: you can choose to view your project in any way that suits you, including workload view and chat view, among others.
- Web forms: design custom forms to collect client/prospect data and distribute information from one place.
- ClickUp’s free plan offers all its primary features, making it one of the best project management solutions.
- The unlimited plan starts at $5/month/user with added functionality.
- It’s sometimes difficult to find things
- Built with several task management functionalities, ClickUp focuses more on task management than the project as a whole
- Resource management could be better.
Get 20% off when you signup using this link
Teamwork is cloud-based software and inarguably one of the best solutions for marketing project management. Teamwork makes an excellent choice for marketing agencies looking for a way to collaborate efficiently, track time, and chat with members in one place.
Users can add notes, comments, tags, and receive notifications when tasks are delayed. In addition, it integrates well with many other popular project management tools, including Gmail, Hubspot, Slack, and Zapier.
Without a doubt, this is a project management tool any marketing department would want to look towards to manage tasks effectively.
- Gantt charts: Gantt charts enable users to visualize project progress with utmost clarity.
- Task dependencies: marketing project managers and team members get notified if there are delays in any process they are involved with.
- Time tracking: know how much time each task requires and has taken.
- Native messaging platform: this project management tool lets you chat with all parties involved in your digital marketing.
- Free plan: for up to five users with a maximum of two projects.
- Pro: $9/month/user
- Premium: $15/month/user
- Enterprise package: contact customer support for annual billing.
All paid plans come with a free 30-day trial.
The user interface can be pretty overwhelming and challenging for new users to grasp.
Asana is the kind of project management software to consider if you desire a place where you can focus on big ideas rather than deadlines. It lets you organize work by sectioning, assigning tasks, and subtasks to individuals/teams. Each task is given to a dedicated team whose manager and members can communicate and brainstorm at a designated, easily accessible location.
Asana is pretty much efficient for task management.
- Chat and collaboration feature for marketing team members to always be in the know.
- Calendar to schedule and keep up with tasks.
- Project templates to automate task creation and sectioning.
- Kanban view.
- You can add files to tasks for team view.
- Free plan with only basic features
- Premium costs $13.49/month/user
- The business plan costs $30.49/month/user.
- For the Asana Enterprise plan, contact customer support for a custom quote.
- Teams cannot collaborate on the same document since they cannot convert comments to tasks.
- Can only assign a task to a single individual or team. To share with multiple parties, you must make different copies of the task, thereby becoming cluttered.
Toggl Plan is a management solution that essentially makes project planning enjoyable for marketing agencies with its immersive drag-and-drop feature. It also allows users to customize task statuses according to their unique project needs.
One of this project management solution’s noticeable upsides is that it’s pretty easy to use, so marketing teams can quickly adapt and harness its features during the onboarding process.
- Custom color-coding: makes it remarkably easy for team members to identify different stages of marketing projects.
- Customizable task status: personalize tasks status according to the project.
- Timeline view: “segments” of a plan run vertically down with “tasks” going horizontally in the right direction, making it easy to break down projects into a simple sequence of steps like a flow chart.
- Free plan: for five users
- Paid plan: starts at $9/month/user
- Limited integrations make transferring data between Toggl Plan and other marketing project management software challenging.
- Free plan is limited to five users only.
- It can only integrate with about ten other tools.
- It does not offer project management dashboards
Smartsheet ranks as one of the most effective marketing project management software, with content collaboration features and dashboards to always keep marketing teams on track.
Not all project management software comes with web forms, but Smartsheet does. This makes it very efficient for marketing project management since users can easily collect data from prospects and clients.
With so many collaboration features, this management software does tick many boxes regarding marketing project management.
- Web forms: create and customize forms for collecting data
- Notifications: users get notified of changes in tasks in real time.
- Content collaboration: pinned feedback, approvals, and annotations make the tool efficient for collaborating in creative works.
- Customizable dashboards: display project data in a way best suited to the project and clients.
- Reporting: Smartsheet has editable summary reports that you can export to Excel.
- Smartsheet costs $7/month/user, with at least three users and a maximum of 25 users.
Free 30-day trial period.
Smartsheet does not offer client management features such as billing, invoicing, and prospect management which are desirable for marketing teams.
As one of the best project management solutions, Trello provides marketing departments with simple boards, lists, and cards to add fun to the management process. This marketing project management tool is ideal for small marketing departments and startups looking for a great, easy-to-use project management tool.
The design is pretty much simplistic and exciting, not overwhelming in any way.
- Kanban boards streamline projects by breaking them into well-defined tasks.
- Each board contains cards. While boards represent projects, the cards denote tasks that define them. Color-coding of the cards enables team members to quickly identify, join, and collaborate on projects.
- You can customize Automations.
- Easy onboarding.
- Basic plan: free
- Standard plan: $5/month/user
- Premium plan: $10/month/user
- Enterprise: $17.50/month/user.
- The free basic plan does not offer enough features to optimize marketing project management.
- Not great for task management as team members can’t view current tasks.
- Comments go to the back of the card, making communication a bit of a hassle.
As the company rightly said, Basecamp is your “all-in-one toolkit for working remotely.”
Basecamp is a cloud-based management tool that offers teams various features, including file storage and group chats. Some of its key features are ideal for marketing project management, such as to-do lists for assigning tasks to different users.
Due to its assortment of features, Basecamp ranks as one of the best management software for marketing teams as it can help them manage multiple projects.
- Group chat: teams can converse and brainstorm remotely in real-time.
- Integration: integrates well with other apps for data analysis, time tracking, etc. It can also integrate with iOS, Android, Mac, and PC.
- To-do list: you not only get to assign tasks, but the system follows up with the tasks when the deadline passes.
- Message board: a place where you can separate conversations for each project/task.
The personal package is free for personal use (not usable by teams).
The business package costs $99/month for unlimited users.
- Does not include time tracking. Has to integrate with a native time tracking app.
- Does not offer more advanced project management features such as custom statuses and task priorities.
Wrike is a popular and award-winning marketing project management software offering customizable workflows, dashboards, reports, and web forms.
One noticeable thing Wrike is loved for is how customizable it is. The interface is also straightforward to use, and users can switch between Kanban boards, interactive drag-and-drop Gantt charts, and workload views to visualize data. Thus, for effective task management, Wrike is always a wise choice.
- Time tracking and budget management
- Intuitive interface with distinct folders and tasks, dashboards, and Gantt charts
- Innovative task and project management for a smooth automation
- Different specialized solutions, including those specifically for marketing teams
- Templates for common marketing tasks. No need to plan specific tasks yourself repeatedly.
- Smart reporting. to keep you in the know with actionable reports on budget, tasks, and resources
- Resource management to plan and allocate resources across teams.
Free plan with limited functionality
The Professional plan costs $9.80/month/user, and the Business plan costs $24.80/month/user. Contact the team for the Enterprise plan.
- Its customizability would require an expert to set up a suitable workflow
- You can’t review HTML emails through the Wrike app. You have to use a web browser.
- It’s pretty challenging to create dependencies between tasks.
If you’re looking for versatile software for resource planning and marketing project management, FunctionFox is an excellent go-to.
Marketing professionals can use FunctionFox to streamline, optimize, and allocate resources efficiently throughout the organization while handling a marketing project. This makes it very useful for the creative aspect of the marketing project. The software also helps to plot out campaign status, steps, and timeline.
It’s loved by Fortune 500 companies all over the globe for its ease of setup and usage while helping them stay on top of essential administrative activities.
- Resource management: plan and allocate resources appropriately on this management software.
- Centralized team communication: marketing teams can always sync throughout the project lifecycle via project blog and file sharing.
- Effective project planning: the software creates the most optimal pathway to the desired outcome.
- Enhanced reporting: easily manage and track several tasks, budgets, and resources with actionable reports
- Timeline planning: to help marketing teams plot out campaign status.
It starts at $5/month/user. Free 14-day trial
- No Kanban boards
- The free plan is limited to three users only
- To start sharing files, you must purchase an add-on for $10
Podio allows you to invite your executives, subordinates, team, and even freelancers to collaborate in one virtual environment. According to reviews, users find Podio a very flexible and easily customizable project Management software.
You can add functionality by choosing apps from the Apps Market or building your own.
- Apps Market: get more from Podio via its customizable premade apps
- Automated Workflow: ensure follow-ups are sent out after every conversion.
- Web forms: collect feedback from prospects and converted customers and give potential clients a way to schedule meetings with you.
- Live chat: perform video conferencing and team chat right on the app.
- Free plan: offers no management tools
- Paid plan: starts at $9/month/user
- The free plan offers nothing for marketing projects
- Visual reports are only available in the premium plan
- Comments can’t be assigned as tasks.
Monday.com rightly has its place among the best project management tools for marketing projects as it offers a plethora of features geared toward marketing teams. Some of these features include resource allocation and great collaboration tools. Team members can upload attachments, comment, mention colleagues, etc.
Most significantly, monday.com trims project management into simple, visually appealing, and intuitive layouts that bring tremendous clarification to the task sequence. Undoubtedly, this software is one marketing agencies can rightly leverage as a marketing project management tool.
- Resource and project management modules to execute file sharing seamlessly
- Track progress by timeline and hours elapsed
- Unique collaboration for marketing professionals to harness their collective genius.
- Kanban and several other project viewing modes allow you to switch and customize views according to your needs.
- Project reporting dashboard that collects data from several sources
- Free version for only two users
- Basic: $8/month/user
- Standard: $10/month/user
- Pro: $48/month/user
- Contact customer support for the Enterprise version.
It does not offer invoicing, and accounting solutions as many other project management software do.
Zoho is a web-based Customer Relationship Management Software but is just as effective for marketing project management. Its native chatroom and ability to track time spent on projects make it ideal for teams to collaborate and communicate throughout the marketing project’s lifecycle.
Zoho Projects allows you to change themes for aesthetics so you’ll always have a new, refreshed interface.
- Timeline view: lets you see what your team members are doing about their assigned tasks
- Timesheets: see how much each team member will be paid according to their billable and non-billable hours.
- Native chatrooms: can be private or public, depending on your project needs.
- HR and Finance Management: These features are outside the project management scope and can be leveraged by the appropriate personnel.
- Basic plan costs $10/month/user
- Premium version costs $20/month/user
- Ultimate package costs $35/month/user.
- For the enterprise package, contact Zoho for inquiries and custom pricing.
- The free plan is limited to only two projects
- Integration with non-Zoho software is limited
- Difficult to operate for first-timers.
Hive is a project management solution well-suited for marketing project management. It’s an incredible team management tool for teams who cherish flexibility because the software allows teams to manage projects however they want.
You can change the interface and integrate other tools to transform the management software into a bespoke solution for marketing projects.
Fortune 500 companies like Starbucks, Uber, and IBM use Hive as their management software.
Hive is just the right management software for users looking for an organized, comprehensive tool that you can customize according to the team’s needs.
- Gantt charts, Kanban boards, tables, and calendars make it super easy to plan marketing campaigns.
- Proofing and approvals for simplifying feedback
- Time-tracking, analytics, and a flexible interface give users a simplified understanding of the entire project and individual tasks.
- Dependencies and unlimited integrations allow you to streamline massive projects on a single platform.
- Free plan: only accommodates two users
- Paid version: Hive Teams costs $16/month/user.
- You must download several add-ons to get the full functionality.
- The free version isn’t helpful to marketing teams due to user limitations.
What Does Marketing Project Management Software Do?
Marketing project management software helps marketing departments plan, communicate, collaborate, and track their progress from the beginning of a project to its completion.
Such tools typically provide unique features, including project planning, client management, team collaboration, and time tracking.
Note that just because your job title doesn’t explicitly say “marketing project manager” doesn’t mean you’re not one. As long as you’re a marketer responsible for a campaign and bringing people together to collaborate towards the campaign’s success, you’re a marketing project manager.
And a project management solution is just what you need to create a path to success.
In essence, marketing project management tools are specifically designed to offer project managers and their teams a virtual work environment where they can all stay organized.
Why Does Your Marketing Team Needs A Project Management Software?
· Timeliness and Efficiency
Campaigns and launches are critical to your company’s growth, and their success depends on how efficiently and timely you coordinate and execute them. Luckily, project management software is just what you need to carry out campaigns in an organized, timely, and efficient manner.
· Measure Results And Analytics
Results are everything in the marketing world. Tomorrow, you may need to carry out another marketing campaign. The results from past campaigns will determine what approach works best, which is crucial to executing other successful campaigns. Efficient management software for marketing will make it easy to obtain and store analytics in an organized and straightforward manner.
· Helps You Map Out Your Path To Success
A project management tool essentially asks you about your expected outcome, “What do you want?” Then, when you fill in the information, the software maps out the path towards that outcome, telling you exactly what you need to do step-by-step to achieve that while also showing you where you are on the map as you progress.
Keeping project information in separate places such as spreadsheets, docs, and calendars will prove cumbersome and disorganized. On the other hand, a good project management solution will give you a birds-eye view of the whole project in one place while also drilling down and organizing all the small details.
· All Team Members Get To Stay On The Same Page
Every project involves different individuals playing different roles and executing other tasks. There may be copywriters, product developers, data analysts, and lots more. A good marketing project management solution creates an environment where everyone can work together to get things done, even remotely.
It’s basically like a home base where members can log in and see what tasks have been assigned, how far they’ve progressed in their assigned task, what stage the project has reached, and what’s left to be done.
Being disorganized can drive one almost insane. A good project management software will, at a glance, give you a grasp of things and where you stand in the project. No more nail-biting moments.
· Have Everything You Need In One Place
Instead of paying for different tools like Timesheets for time tracking, Slack for communication, and Evernote for file sharing. An efficient project management tool will typically provide all or some of those features.
You’d no longer have to waste time switching tabs and minimizing apps to perform specific actions on the same project. You have all you need in one centralized platform with a marketing project marketing solution.
How To Choose A Marketing Project Management Software?
Having seen the 13 best marketing project management software, it begs the question: which of them should you go for?
It wouldn’t be economical to use all of them at once. So to choose your marketing project management software, look at the ones that offer the right combination of features relevant for managing your current project.
Each marketing tool listed has its upsides and downsides; some are designed to solve specific problems. So rather than trying to pick a single tool, use two or more to complement each other.
How well you plan your project and collaborate during its course can mean the difference between a successful marketing campaign and a failed one. It’s therefore essential to have not just the general best marketing project management software but one that’s best suited for your needs.
If any marketing pm software that catches your interest has a free trial, it’s advisable to try it out to be confident it works for you.
We hope you enjoyed this article. If so, you might enjoy these resources:
- Why is Project Management Important for Your Business?
- 13 Best Project Management tools for Startups
- 11 Best Project Management Software for Freelancers
- 12 Best Project Management Software for Mac
- 11 Best Project Management Software for Nonprofits
- Best 10 Project Management Software for Small Business
- 9 Best HR Software for Nonprofits