It’s 2023, and the world has gone digital.
Calls, purchases, work, and effective collaboration can be done with a simple click on a screen.
But what does this mean for business owners?
It means you must adapt to the trends and digitally market your businesses. In fact, 63% of businesses increased their digital marketing budget in 2022.
In this article, we will explore the key strategies to help you build a successful online business in 2023 and beyond.
Let’s get right in!
How to successfully build your online business
There is a sea of businesses online, each struggling to gain visibility and success. From SaaS brands to B2B and then B2C brands, everyone wants a slice of the digital world cake.
But how can you stand out from the crowd?
Here are some vital strategies to implement if you wish to achieve success in the digital marketplace. We’ll start with the most convenient and effective strategy.
1- Use marketing agencies
Mastering the digital marketplace requires great precision and expertise. If you have a predominantly digital business, especially a SaaS brand, digital marketing is a priority.
A lot of times, a SaaS marketing agency makes the process easier. From search engine optimization to link building and content marketing, you can position your online business to stand out in the overcrowded sea of digital brands.
Your marketing efforts do not just deserve to work; they should also produce tangible, measurable results for you.
This is why marketing agencies are effective. You don’t just get a couple of good resources; you get metrics that show how much progress you’ve made, and you get results that show a high return on investments (ROI).
If you already have a team, you can collaborate with these agencies to train your employees on what works in your industry.
Pro tip: Make sure to choose an agency with a great record of results.
2- Create a user-friendly website.
Imagine walking into a store and getting lost in the aisles – not fun, right? Well, the same goes for your online space.
Your website is your welcoming storefront, and as such, it should be appealing to the users.
How can you do this?
By making it intuitive and easy to navigate. This provides a positive experience for your users.
Based on research, a poorly designed website may frustrate users and result in people leaving the website or visiting the entrance page without exploring other pages within the site.
To build an effective, user-friendly website, consider implementing the following tips:
- Keep it simple
Less is often more.
Avoid mixing too many multiple colors, rather, choose specific colors that match your brand image and are appealing to the eyes.
Your interface should be intuitive. This means that users should be able to effortlessly navigate their way without needing external assistance.
Your website copy should be catchy and straight to the point. Avoid extraneous information and excessive pages or sections.
- Ensure your website looks good on mobile devices.
Some brands use very different interfaces and web designs for their web and mobile apps.
This often creates a problem for users when they switch from the web to mobile.
To prevent this, use a similar design and interface for both your web and mobile apps. This way, you provide your users with the same experience, and they can more easily navigate through both apps.
- Speed matters
No one wants to be stuck loading a page for more than 2 minutes.
When this happens, users quickly leave the page and leave a negative review about your web design.
You should consider optimizing your website for fast loading times to prevent this.
3- Master your SEO (Search Engine Optimization)
Ever wonder how some businesses always pop up first in Google searches?
Because of SEO.
When your website is optimized, it appears on the top of the search results list on Google.
Why does it matter?
Higher rankings mean more eyeballs on your business. If you’re not visible, you’re missing out on potential customers.
Tips for Success:
- Know your keywords.
- Create stuff people want to read and share.
- Include meta tags and descriptions.
Implementing these tips will get you on the first search engine response page in no time!
4- Craft engaging content
Think of content as the storyteller of your brand.
Engaging content is what keeps your audience hooked and wanting more.
It’s not just about selling; it’s about building a relationship. Engaging content does just that – it keeps your audience coming back for more. With content marketing, you’re taking your audience from the top of the funnel to the bottom of the funnel using inbound marketing.
You build good customer relationships, one blog or video at a time, and the results are exceptional.
Here are a few tips for success in content marketing:
- Know your audience.
- Mix it up – use visuals, videos, and whatever else grabs attention.
Remember, don’t sweat it. Intent marketing should be fun as much as it is valuable.
5- Use email marketing
It’s like a direct line to your audience – your virtual hotline.
This way, you’re dropping information about your brand, discounts, promotions, and even product changes right at their doorstep. They just have to click open to see all the juicy information from your brand.
It’s a direct way to connect, promote, and bring folks back to your corner of the internet.
Tips for success:
- Build an email list – quality over quantity. Focus on people in your target audience. You can use a lead magnet to get people to sign up for your newsletter.
- Personalize those emails. The best email campaigns are those that look like they were crafted specially for the reader.
- Make your emails visually appealing and easy to act upon. You can use some email marketing tools to achieve this.
Let’s now go on to the next gem to run a successful online business.
6- Paid advertising
Ever seen those sponsored posts? That’s paid advertising.
While they can be annoying, they’re easily the best way to reach lots and lots of viewers.
It’s like turning on a tap for targeted traffic. It’s a powerful way to get your message to the right people when done right.
Tips for Success:
- Know your audience – ads aren’t one-size-fits-all.
- Make your visuals pop and your copy concise. People don’t want to get bored reading your ad.
- Keep an eye on performance and tweak as needed. You cannot afford to lose money on poor-performing ads. Use each ad as a guide to inform new ads.
The good thing about paid advertising is that you can put in just a little and get very great returns. It’s absolutely worth the while.
7- Leverage influencer marketing
Influencer marketing is easily the best way to sell on social media. This is because people listen to influencers. The typical person on social media buys something because they saw an influencer use or recommend the product.
Influencers have loyal followers. Partnering with them can introduce your brand to a whole new crowd.
Tips for Success:
- Pick influencers who suit your brand. You cannot afford to partner with anybody at all. They have to match your brand values and identity.
- Set expectations – Clear communication is key. You can use a creative brief to communicate in detail exactly what you expect from these influencers.
- Track the impact – Know what’s working. Find out the influencers that brought the most results and create a longer-term partnership with them.
The good thing is you don’t have to use influencers with millions of followers who may cost so much. Micro-influencers are easily becoming the most effective and engaging type of influencers. They have fewer followers and usually have a stronger connection with their audience.
These people can endorse your products in exchange for gifts, branded merchandise, paid partnerships, or other perks. The good thing is you get the credibility you need to grow as well as increase sales.
8- Use personalization to improve customer engagement.
Have you ever received an email addressing you by name or seen recommendations tailored just for you? That’s personalization – making customers feel seen and heard.
Customization is something you must pay attention to when building a digital brand.
Here are a few tips for success:
- Use customer data wisely – personalize, don’t stalk. When you gather customer data, be intentional with each detail so that they’re impressed rather than put off.
- Recommend products based on past purchases. Especially if you have an online store, keep records of purchase history and recommend products to customers based on that.
- Be present on social media – engage, respond, and show your human side. Nobody wants to buy from a robot. There’s nothing as moving as knowing that you’re speaking to a human with real emotions. Show that in your comments and how you relate with your customers on social media.
Personalization builds a connection. It’s like having a friend in the business, and friends stick around. Customers like to think that your product or service was tailored specially for them.
So, you should consider personalizing your products or services as much as you can.
We’re done now. Let’s wrap this up.
Over to you
If you’ve read up till this point, you’ve set yourself up for victory. All you have to do is get started with growing your business and getting your customers to experience the best with your products and services.
Remember, doing what’s best for you and your brand is the most important thing.