If you manage a business with employees, then you know that tracking employee leaves can be a daunting task. When the leave is taken in big chunks of time, managing becomes easier. However, this isn’t always the case. In fact, most employees take intermittent leaves, which means they take their leaves in a non-continuous manner.
Aside from that, employees have to take emergency leaves from time to time. That is what the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is for. This act allows employees to take a family or emergency medical leave of up to 12 weeks each year. More on this will be discussed later in the article.
Tracking intermittent leaves is a much more daunting task. It creates the need to use advanced methods to help make the task much more manageable. Thankfully, managers and employers have a few options to make this task easier.
One option is using management software for tracking intermittent FMLA. When used correctly, this software can help businesses automate the process of tracking employee leave and can also help to ensure compliance with FMLA regulations.
Leave management software can be a helpful tool for tracking employee leaves, but there are a few things to know before using it. This article will guide and inform you more about FMLA, leave management software, and its benefits when properly used.
What Is FMLA Leave?
As mentioned above, the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is an employee’s leave for medical or family reasons, as defined under the act. Employees may use FMLA leave for a variety of reasons, including:
- The birth or adoption of a child
- Serious illness of the employee or a family member
- If an employee’s spouse, child, or parent is a member of the armed forces deployed to a foreign country
The FMLA applies to all employers with 50 or more employees with 20 or more workweeks in a year. It applies to private-sector employers and all public-sector employers (irrespective of the number of employees). FMLA also applies to elementary and secondary school employees, irrespective of the number of employees.
Employees who take FMLA leave are entitled to retain their jobs or return to their previous or equivalent position with equivalent pay, benefits, and working conditions. In addition, employees who take FMLA leaves are entitled to continue receiving health insurance coverage from their employer. Employers who violate the FMLA can be subject to civil penalties of up to $11,000 per violation.
Getting Started With Leave Management Software
Several software programs can be used to track and manage FMLA leave. These programs can track the amount of leave an employee has taken, the dates of the leave, and the reason for the leave. Some software programs also allow tracking the accrual and use of other types of leave, such as vacation and sick leave. This can help manage an employee’s overall leave balance.
When considering using a leave management software program to track FMLA leave, here are the things to keep in mind during this crucial process.
- First and foremost, ensuring that the software you’re using is compliant with all relevant laws and regulations is essential. This especially pertains to the FMLA, which governs how employers must handle employee leave for specific medical and family reasons.
- Make sure that the software you use can track all of the required information for FMLA leave, such as the dates of the leave, the reason for the leave, and any documentation that may be required. This will help to ensure that you have a complete and accurate record of all FMLA leave taken by your employees.
- In addition, choosing software that makes it easy for you to track and manage leave is crucial. Look for software that can easily view and manage employee leave balances, request and approve leaves, and generate reports. These features will save you time and help ensure your leave management process is as efficient as possible.
- When selecting a system, you should consider your company’s needs. Some leave management systems are designed for companies with many employees, while others are more suited for small businesses.
- Finally, consider the cost of the leave management software you’re considering. While many leave management software programs are affordable, some can be expensive. Be sure to compare the price of the software to the features and benefits it offers to ensure that you’re getting the best value for your money.
Using Leave Management Software To Track FMLA
Once you have selected a suitable leave management software program, you’ll need to set up the program and input the relevant information. To use the leave management software to track FMLA leave, set up an account first and create a user profile for each employee.
Once the account is set up, employees can log in and request to take a leave. After this step is complete, there are a few things you’ll need to do to make effective use of the leave management software. You’ll need to:
- Ensure Your Employees Are Aware Of Their Rights Under The FMLA
It’s imperative that the rights afforded to your employees by the FMLA be brought to their attention. The Department of Labor provides many resources to help educate your employees about their rights under the FMLA. An employee rights poster, a guide for employees, and a guide for employers are all included in these resources.
- Create A Policy That Outlines How Your Company Will Manage FMLA Leave
It’s also essential that you create a policy that outlines how your company will manage FMLA leave. This policy should include information on how employees can request FMLA leave, how the leave will be tracked, and what the consequences are for employees who abuse FMLA leave.
- Train Your Employees On How To Use The Leave Management System
Once you have implemented a leave management system, you will need to train your employees on how to use it. This training should demonstrate how to request FMLA leave, track it, and view leave balances.
- Monitor Employee Leave Balances
It’s important that you monitor employee leave balances. You should track the number of leave employees have taken and the amount of available leave. If an employee is close to exhausting their leave balance, you may need to send a reminder to help them plan out their remaining leaves.
Benefits of Using Leave Management Software to Track FMLA
There are many benefits of using leave management software to track employee leave. They include:
- Tracking FMLA leave helps ensure that employees take the appropriate amount of leave. The FMLA allows employees to take up to 12 weeks of leave per year. Note that this leave is unpaid. This means that if employees take more leaves than they are entitled to, it can strain the business.
- Leave management software can help businesses save time by automating employee time off requests and approvals. This can help enterprises save time by not manually tracking and approving time off requests. Leave management software can also help businesses maintain a record of employee sick days and vacation times, which can help them effectively plan and budget for the available time.
- Businesses can cut costs by using leave management software. The software can automate the tracking of employee hours, which can help companies save money on labor costs. The software can also help businesses keep track of employee vacation and sick days, which can help businesses save money on benefits costs.
- The FMLA has set strict rules and regulations. Failure to comply with the FMLA will result in costly penalties and lawsuits. Using leave management software can help companies remain compliant with FMLA and avoid penalties.
- Leave management software can also help businesses improve communication between managers and employees. This is because it can provide a platform for employees to request and view their leave information quickly. It makes it easy for employees to see their time-off balance and request time off and for managers to approve or deny requests, improving communication.
- Leave management software benefits businesses by boosting employee morale. Employees who feel valued are more likely to be productive, and one way to show employees that they are valued is by offering flexible leave policies. Leave management software can help businesses keep track of employee leave requests and ensure that employees can take time off that they need. This can improve morale by making employees feel like they can care for their personal needs without worrying about work.
To sum up, FMLA leave management software can help you effectively manage employee leave and prevent FMLA abuse by keeping track of the days an employee is out on leave and the reason for the leave. It should be selected carefully, and once chosen, it should have the ability to track employee leave balances and provide you with reports on employee leave usage.
FMLA leave management software can be valuable for businesses of all sizes. Be sure to utilize the information in this article; it will be much more convenient to ensure that your company’s workforce is managed more effectively and that your employees can take the leave they are entitled to.