Any business, no matter what size, needs a system to track employees’ working hours. Even if you’re your own boss, time tracking is a way to make sure you’re focused and get work done in a timely manner.
There are multiple time tracking tools that went through many phases to reassure efficiency. We started out with old-fashioned punch cards and paper timesheets to sending emails with our working hours then technology stepped up its game. Now we can use biometrics for time tracking (fingerprint scans) and finally, time tracking software.
Using a time tracking software is the most convenient and efficient way to track working hours and attendance. It is also the most popular and growing rapidly. But what are the benefits of a time tracking software and its different types? Let’s go through everything you need to know about this software and how you can find the right app for your business.
- Real time tracking: With time tracking software, employees can accurately track all their working hours without forgetting to add anything or exaggerating. Employees are able to clock in, take breaks, and clock out and it will all be recorded.
2. Improved Productivity: Employees will be able to follow up on their progress on tasks and will be more focused on their work with a timer keeping track. This means no time will be wasted and they will be held accountable for how they spend their time.
3. Online Timesheets: Paper timesheets are outdated due to their inefficiency and inaccuracy. When doing payroll, it’ll be a hassle reading through your employees’ handwriting, paper timesheets are exposed to error and wrong numbers. Time tracking software automatically generates accurate time sheets with employees logged working hours.
4. Accurate Payroll: With online timesheets, payroll can be done in just a few hours instead of days. All working hours will be tracked by the software so there will be no salary errors like overspending or underspending. This method will save you money and time, speeding the process and making sure payroll is accurate.
5. Remote Monitoring: Most time tracking software can be used on mobile devices, you can be on top of everything at the office without even being there. You’ll be able to see who’s at their desk, who came late and follow up on employee’s work progress.
Different Types of Time Tracking Software:
- Time Tracker:
This type of software’s main purpose is essentially to track time. It operates as a stopwatch mostly and is used for tracking small projects. It can be great for tracking your own working hours or if you’re running a small business. You can use it to clock in, track your breaks, and clock out.
This could also work for contractors or remote employees. For example, Timecamp is a free time tracking software with the basic tracking needs.
2. Timesheet Generator:
Another type that is more advanced is software that lets you track working hours and automatically generates timesheets. Most apps can be integrated with payroll systems to input the timesheets for payroll or they are exported into CVS or PDF then put into a payroll system. It’s the most convenient option for small-medium sized businesses that just need to monitor employees working hours and want accurate timesheets.
They usually have a dashboard for you and employees, so you can easily keep track of their absences or leaves. Some of these apps are Clockin Portal, ClickTime, and Tsheets.
3. Project Management:
Many project management systems have a time tracking feature because it’s vital to getting projects done efficiently. This type is suitable for big businesses with many projects because it allows employees to share projects with each other, you can set a project budget and a deadline for it, and even work on multiple projects at once.
This is the most advanced type of time tracking software and is also usually more expensive than the second type. You get to view projects forecast, create financial reports, and plan future budgets more carefully. A few brand names of this type are Zoho Projects, which also offers HR management, Wrike, and Basecamp.
How to find the right software for your business?
There are thousands of applications to choose from, some have better features than others. For example, with Hubstaff, it takes screenshots to confirm employees are working and track progress. Other apps monitor keyboard and mouse activity, have mile tracking like Clockin Portal, or have employees take a photo at work to confirm their location.
It is important for you to know what you need exactly from the software, whether it’s just time tracking work or project management too so you won’t overspend in features you don’t need.
Go to Reviano and check out the time tracking software category for an accurate listing of all the latest time tracking apps with their features, prices, ratings, and reviews. By comparing between different software, you’ll easily be able to define which software is right for your business.