As a new or even small or mid-sized business, renting or purchasing an office is often your most significant expense. In most cases, if you’re unable to make rent, you’re out, your business is done, and you either have to start from scratch or find ways to cut funding dramatically. Which guess what? It is not good for business, but you already know that.
So, what if we told you that you could work remotely but have all the benefits of a regular office for a fraction of the cost? That would allow you to seem equally professional as your competitors and still have a physical address to which your business mail can be delivered. In addition, it will enable you to save and reinvest cash flow back into your business for optimal growth.
This article will discuss the topic of virtual office solutions, beginning with what they are, a round-up up of our top picks, the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a virtual office space, and more.
What is a Virtual Office?
We’ve briefly touched on this already. However, a virtual office is an office for those who work remotely, not in a fixed location. Virtual office address provides the company with a business mailing address. In addition, virtual office addresses offer an abundance of different tools, including a phone number, phone answering services, receptionist, mail handling, private hot desks, and even customer support options.
Many home-based businesses use a virtual business address instead of their home address with their clients, business cards, website, flyers, or anywhere else.
Virtual offices are becoming more and more popular, mainly due to the low overhead without sacrificing the key benefits of owning or renting an actual office space.
Best Virtual Office Providers
Okay, now that we’ve explained what a virtual office is, hopefully now you’re excited to see the options you have available. Below, you will find our top picks:
- Opus Virtual Offices
- Alliance Virtual Offices
- Northwest Registered Agent
- Allied offices
- Office evolution
We will now explain each of these virtual office solutions in greater detail below.
Opus Virtual Offices is the best virtual office service for beginners. They have +500 locations in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
Opus’s service is straightforward for business owners to set their virtual office. Their services include complete mail handling, virtual phone services, and live receptionist. Also, they can convert all your faxes and voice messages into emails.
Key features of Opus Virtual Office Services include:
- Live Receptionist Answering Calls
- Corporate Mailing Address
- Company Phone Number
- Company Fax Number
- Premium Call Forwarding
- Voicemail Converted to Email
- Fax Converted to Email
- Business Credit Building
Opus’s flat pricing is $99 monthly no hidden fees or extra costs. If you signup for a year of their virtual business address, you will get one month for FREE.
Additional Services Pricing
- Call Out Feature – $10/month
- Texting Feature – $10/month
- Toll-Number – $10/month
- Audio Conferencing Bridge – $10/month
- Additional Extension(s)/Voice Box(es) – $25/month per extension
- International Call Transfer – $10/month
Other pros and cons of Opus Virtual Offices consist of:
- Best for new business owners.
- Straightforward signup process.
- Located in all 50 states
- Only two international virtual office locations (Canada, Puerto Rico)
- No physical workspace
- Opus offers only one basic package, no higher-end packages.
iPostal1 virtual office services provide a complete business presence while working from anywhere. It is a physical location that serves as a prestigious mailing address. But what makes it special is that it comes with a digital mailbox service, phone forwarding, voicemail services, and dedicated electronic fax. All this for a meager price beginning at $39.99 per month.
Having a professional business address with digital mailbox service and local or toll-free phone is a huge benefit, especially for home businesses ready to upgrade their professional image, register their business, or protect their privacy. iPostal1 virtual office packages are a fraction of the cost of renting an office or getting a mail address with a live answering service at a co-working space through other providers.
Digital mailbox service is a fantastic convenience. You can view and manage mail and packages on the web or with an app, request to open and scan mail content to see a searchable PDF in your digital inbox in hours, or forward, pickup, or discard mail. In addition, they are the only company that offers real-time shipping prices for different carriers and service levels.
iPostal1 has over 2,000 locations at retail pack and ship stores and co-working spaces in professional office buildings.
Key features of iPostal1 virtual office services include:
- Business address
- Local or toll-free phone number
- Phone forwarding with voicemail messaging
- Full digital mailbox service for mail and package handling
- Excellent Customer Service
- All locations real street addresses, including office buildings
- Office 60, $39.99/mo OR $399/yr
60 mail items per month + Phone, Voice Mail, Personal Greeting & Fax
- Office 120, $49.99/mo OR $499/yr
120 mail items per month + Phone, Voice Mail, Personal Greeting & Fax
- Office 120 Toll-Free, $59.99/mo OR $599/yr
120 mail items per month + Toll-Free Phone and Voice Mail, Personal Greeting & Toll-Free Fax
- Office 240 Toll-Free, $69.99/mo OR $699/yr
240 mail items per month + Toll-Free Phone and Voice Mail, Personal Greeting & Toll-Free Fax
- Low-cost Virtual Office plans
- Office building addresses available at coworking spaces
- Includes digital mailbox service plus local or toll-number
- Digital mailbox only plans are also available
- Over 2,000 locations
- If your only need is to have a lot of mail content scanned, iPostal1 may not be the right choice.
Alliance Virtual Offices is a virtual address and virtual office space with a choice of 40+ different countries to choose your address (United States, Mexico, United Arab Emirates, Netherlands, Canada, and UK).
Through its network of 1200+ global locations, Alliance Virtual Offices provides recognized business addresses, mail handling, mail forwarding, office space, meeting space, live receptionist services, business phone numbers, and a virtual phone system.
With a virtual office plan, the mail is received by onsite receptionists and stored securely for local pickup, including the monthly Virtual Office fee. Clients can collect mail as often as they like at no additional charge, or various mail forwarding options are available. For example, you can forward mail daily, weekly, bi-weekly, or monthly with an additional fee for handling and postage (see rates below).
A virtual office address through Alliance is used for other functions besides mail. For example, one of the enormous benefits of using an address at a recognized commercial building rather than a PO box is that you can use it on business license applications, credit agreements, entity formation, and other purposes.
Clients can also visit the center to work or to meet clients and coworkers. Centers have receptionist staff, onsite meeting rooms, and day office booked on flexible hourly rates starting from $10 per hour. With Alliance’s premium virtual office plan, up to 16 hours of the meeting rooms or office space usage is included each month, saving the client around 75% on hourly meeting room rental.
Key features of Alliance virtual office services include:
- Locations available in most major big cities
- Business address
- Mail handling and mail forwarding
- Flat rates
- Friendly support
- Local or toll-number
- Dedicated live receptionist
- Telephone answering services
- Private offices and hot desks
Virtual office plans start from $49/mo.
Standard mail forwarding rates (correct as of September 1, 2021):
- $10.00 for monthly forwarding
- $20.00 for bi-weekly
- $30.00 for weekly
- $70.00 for daily forwarding
Other services include:
- Live Receptionist service starting from $95/mo
- Virtual Phone + Business Phone Number $30/mo
- Meeting Room & Office Rental starting from $10/hour
- Coworking plans starting from $55/mo
Other pros and cons of Alliance Virtual Offices consist of:
- Choice of either a local or a toll-number
- Low-risk pricing options
- Premium business address
- Locations in 50 states and 42 countries.
- some users had issues receiving their mail
Northwest Registered Agent
Northwest Registered Agent is a US virtual address and virtual office service. The company offers a physical mail forwarding service and a virtual phone line for your business. You can choose locations including Wyoming, Florida, Delaware, Idaho, Texas, Washington, and Montana.
Their pricing starts at $49 for a US virtual office address. Registered agent service costs $125 per year and VoIP for $9 per month.
Key features of Northwest Registered Agent include:
- Registered Agent Service
- New Business Registration
- Mail Handling
- Yearly Business Compliance Filing
- Business Telephone Number
Sococo is an excellent virtual office solution for those operating and managing remote teams. Key features of Sococo include:
- Choice of floor plan for your virtual office space
- Video conferencing within the platform
- Ability to share screens with others
- Real-time management
- Chat in-app or through a microphone
In addition, Sococo virtual office plans begin as low as $13.49 for a seat.
Other pros and cons of Sococo include:
- Dedicated iOS and Android app
- The service can share multiple screens at once
- You can even choose office decor
- Joining a meeting may seem a little “clunky” from time to time
- Video consistently is not the best of all available platforms
Davinci Virtual Office Solutions
Davinci virtual office solutions are great value for money, an excellent option for many businesses looking for a virtual office space. For example, key features of Davinci include:
- A business support center
- Business address
- Mail handling and mail forwarding
- Live web chat
- Live answering and call forwarding
- Voice mail management
- Day offices
- Lobby directory
- Meeting rooms with A/V equipment, reliable wi-fi, and catering options.
Choosing the Davinci virtual office space also presents various pros, including:
- High-speed internet if required
- Ability to forward your mail
- Registered agent
- Cost-effective beginning at $49 per month
- The basic plan doesn’t include live receptionist
- Popular ZIP codes are considerably more expensive
- The first contract includes a setup fee of $150-$200
- Six-month contract required
Second, to last, we have the Allied offices, virtual phone system, and office platform. The main difference between the others is the ability to run your entire business via your smartphone. This factor is becoming more and more critical in the increasingly digital world. Nonetheless, key features include:
- Mail and content delivery safety
- Appointment booking tool directly from your smartphone
- 24/7 access
- Live or automated receptionists
- Prices start from $44 per month
- Advanced smartphone functionality and accessibility
- Meeting spaces
- Smartphone compatible
- Some users reported issues with stability
Finally, we have office evolution – often considered the best virtual office spaces for small and mid-sized businesses in the United States. However, what makes it so good? Key features of Office Evolution include:
- Personal mailbox (locked) or forwarded
- 24/7 workspace access
- Access nationwide
- Proper business address
- Flexible contract
- Conference rooms
- Dedicated support team
- Private office options
- More expensive than other providers ($99 or $179)
- Only two plans to choose from
Virtual office advantages and disadvantages
If you’re considering setting up a virtual office for your business, then you’re likely wondering if there are any downsides. Therefore, we’ve put together a few advantages and disadvantages for you to see below:
Virtual Office Advantages:
- Save money
- Obtain a professional business address
- Work remotely
- Professional mail and phone services
- Protect your home address
Virtual Office Disadvantages:
- Working remotely can be distracting for some people.
- No set environment
- May deteriorate human connections and social interaction.
Mainly, the key advantages lie within the increased flexibility, essentially enabling you to run an office-like environment from anywhere in the world, but still benefiting from a permanent mailing dress and a valid phone number and phone system, allowing you to look and act professionally.
Can you use a virtual office for company registration?
In most cases, it is acceptable to use a virtual office address as your business address on your Articles of Organization. However, many states do not allow you to use a P.O. Box for your office address.
How to choose the best virtual office service?
With so many virtual office options available, it cannot be easy to know which one is the best for you. However, this generally comes down to a few points:
- Where is the permanent mailing address?
- How much does it cost?
- Do you receive any other benefits or commodities?
- How good is the customer service?
It would be best if you asked yourself these questions before picking a service, especially the question about customer service. If you use virtual receptionists and others, then these need to be friendly, leaving a good impression as all customers will interact with these people.
How to set up a virtual office service?
Setting up a virtual office may be difficult, especially if this is the first you’ve heard about them. However, it isn’t that difficult.
To begin, you need to pick an ideal virtual business address, you need to hire a virtual assistant (some virtual offices come with staff), and then you need to submit your company name and description. After that, the rest is pretty straightforward, with your chosen virtual office service walking you through the rest and ensuring the setup process is a breeze.
After signing up your virtual business address, you can use your new business address as your company address. You can list it on your company’s documents, website, flyers, or business cards.
Learn more about how to set up your virtual office from here.
We hope you enjoyed this article. If so, you might enjoy these resources:
- Best Virtual Mailbox Services in Canada
- Virtual Mailbox Services for Business and Travelers
- Why You Need a Virtual Address for LLC? And How to Get One?