As a new, small, or mid-sized business, renting or purchasing an office is often your most significant expense. In most cases, if you’re unable to make rent, you’re out, your business is done, and you either have to start from scratch or find ways to cut funding dramatically.
So, what if we told you that you could work remotely but have all the benefits of a regular office for a fraction of the cost? That would allow you to seem equally professional as your competitors and still have a physical address to deliver your business mail.
This article will discuss virtual office solutions, beginning with what they are, a round-up of our top picks, the advantages and disadvantages of choosing a virtual office, and more.
What is a Virtual Office?
A virtual office is a valuable service for small and medium-sized businesses or startups that need a professional office address without worrying about the costly commitment of private office space. With a virtual office, you get a professional address.
Virtual office companies offer various tools, including phone numbers, answering services, live receptionists, mail forwarding, private hot desks, and customer support options.
Virtual offices are becoming increasingly popular due to the low overhead without sacrificing the key benefits of owning or renting an office space.
Many home-based businesses use a virtual business mailing address instead of their home address with their clients, business cards, websites, flyers, etc.
Best Virtual Office Service Providers
Okay, now that we’ve explained what a virtual office is, hopefully, you’re excited to see your available options. Below, you will find our top picks:
- Northwest Registered Agent
- Alliance Virtual Offices
- Opus Virtual Offices
- Office evolution
We will now explain these virtual office solutions in greater detail below.
Northwest Registered Agent is a US business formation and legal services company that can provide you with a virtual address and virtual office service. The company offers a physical mail forwarding service and a virtual phone line for your business. You can choose locations: California, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Montana, New York, Texas, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.
Key features of Northwest Registered Agent include
- Business Address and Mail Forwarding
- Low-cost Virtual Office plans
- Registered Agent Service
- Business Formation Services
- Business Support
- Compliance Monitoring
- Business Telephone Number
- Northwest Registered Agent is a reliable and reputable provider of virtual office services.
- Mail forwarding service
- Excellent customer service
- VoIP Business phone number
- Northwest Registered Agent is only available in the US.
- Extra cost for mail forwarding service.
Northwest Registered Agent pricing starts at $29 for a US virtual office address, while Registered Agent service costs $125 annually and VoIP for $9 monthly.
Alliance Virtual Offices is one of the best virtual office services, with 40+ countries to choose your address (United States, Mexico, United Arab Emirates, Netherlands, Canada, and UK).
Through its network of 1200+ global locations, Alliance Virtual Offices provides recognized business addresses, mail forwarding, office space, meeting space, live receptionist services, business phone numbers, and a virtual phone system.
With a virtual office plan, the mail is received by onsite receptionists and stored securely for local pickup, including the monthly fee.
Key features of Alliance Virtual Offices include
- Locations available in most major cities
- Business Address and Mail Services
- Virtual Assistants
- Friendly support
- Business Support
- Dedicated live receptionist
- Live Receptionist and Phone Services
- Meeting Spaces
Other services include
- Live Receptionist service starting from $95/mo
- The toll-free number costs $30/mo.
- Meeting Room & Office Rental starting from $10/hour
- Co-working plans to start from $55/mo
- Choice of either a local or a toll number
- Low-risk pricing options
- Premium business address
- Alliance Virtual Offices has locations in over 1,000 cities worldwide.
- Additional costs for some services like mail forwarding, virtual phone, and business number
Virtual Office plans start at just $49 per month.
Alliance Virtual Offices offers three plans, and their cost depends on the location you choose:
- Platinum Plan: Includes Live Receptionist, dedicated business phone number, can be used for business license and opening a bank account—free online notary to complete US Postal Form 1583.
- Platinum Plus Plan: Includes 4 hours of Meeting Room or Private Office Time, Commercial Business Address, and Front lobby receptionist to greet visitors.
- Platinum Plus Plan with Live Receptionist: Includes Real-time appointment scheduling, one dedicated phone number, 50 live answering minutes per month, unlimited extension numbers and calling minutes, and much more.
iPostal1 virtual office services provide a complete business presence while working from anywhere. It is a physical location that serves as a prestigious mailing address. But it is unique because it comes with a digital mailbox service, phone forwarding, voicemail services, and dedicated electronic fax. All this for a meager price, beginning at $39.99 per month.
A professional business address with a digital mailbox service and a local or toll-free phone is a huge benefit, especially for home businesses. iPostal1 virtual office packages are a fraction of the cost of renting an office or getting a mail address with a live answering service at a co-working space through other providers.
iPostal1 has over 2,700 locations at retail pack-and-ship stores and co-working spaces in professional office buildings.
Key features of iPostal1 virtual office services include
- Professional business address
- Local or toll-free phone number
- Phone forwarding with voicemail messaging
- Full digital mailbox service for mail and package handling
- Excellent Customer Service
- All locations are real street addresses, including office buildings
- Low-cost Virtual Office plans
- Office building addresses are available at co-working spaces
- Includes digital mailbox service plus local or toll-number
- Digital mailbox only plans are also available.
- Meeting spaces are only available in select locations.
- Phone and fax services may not be as robust as most virtual office providers.
Virtual office plans start from $39.99/mo.
Opus Virtual Offices is the best virtual office service for beginners. They have +500 locations in the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico.
Opus’s service allows business owners to set up their virtual offices. Their services include complete mail handling, virtual phone services, and a live receptionist. Also, they can convert all your faxes and voice messages into emails.
Key features of Opus Virtual Offices include
- Live Receptionist Answering Calls
- Business Address and Mail Services
- Live Receptionist and Phone Services
- Virtual phone and fax
- Premium Call Forwarding
- Voicemail Converted to Email
- Fax Converted to Email
- Business Credit Building
- Best for new business owners.
- Straightforward signup process.
- They are located in all 50 states.
- Limited international coverage.
- Limited conference room availability.
Opus’s flat pricing is $99 monthly with no hidden fees or extra costs. If you sign up for a year of their virtual business address, you will get one month for FREE.
- Call Out Feature – $10/month
- Texting Feature – $10/month
- Toll-Number – $10/month
- Audio Conferencing Bridge – $10/month
- Additional Extension(s)/Voice Box(es) – $25/month per extension
- International Call Transfer – $10/month
Sococo is an excellent virtual office solution for those operating and managing remote teams.
Key features of Sococo include
- Choice of floor plan for your virtual office space
- Video conferencing within the platform
- Ability to share screens with others
- Real-time management
- Chat in-app or through a microphone
- Dedicated iOS and Android app
- The service can share multiple screens at once
- You can even choose office decor
- Sococo’s built-in communication tools can help teams work more efficiently and effectively.
- Sococo may not be suitable for larger teams, as the virtual office can become crowded and difficult to navigate.
- Some users have reported technical issues with the platform, such as poor video quality or lag.
- Sococo’s pricing can be expensive, especially for small businesses.
Sococo virtual office plans begin as low as $13.49 for a seat.
Davinci virtual office solutions are great value for money and an excellent option for many businesses looking for a virtual office solution.
key features of Davinci include
- A business support center
- Business address
- Mail forwarding
- Live web chat
- Phone answering service and call forwarding.
- Voice mail management
- Day offices
- Lobby directory
- Meeting rooms with A/V equipment, reliable Wi-Fi, and catering options.
- High-speed internet, if required
- Ability to forward your mail
- Registered Agent
- Davinci charges extra for some services, such as mail forwarding and additional phone lines.
- Depending on the location, Davinci Virtual Offices may have limited availability for conference room rentals.
Virtual office plans start from $50 per month (depending on your chosen location)
Regus is a global virtual office provider that offers businesses a range of solutions to help them establish a professional image and operate more efficiently. They offer physical office space, co-working space, virtual offices, and meeting rooms.
Key features include
- Business Address
- Mail handling and forwarding
- Phone answering and forwarding
- Meeting rooms and office space
- You can access their global network of business lounges and offices, providing a professional workspace wherever you go.
- Regus’s global presence makes it easy for businesses to find virtual office solutions in different locations.
- Regus offers a comprehensive suite of virtual office services, making it easy for businesses to find everything they need in one place.
- Regus provides businesses with access to meeting spaces, which can be helpful for businesses that need to meet with clients or colleagues in person.
- Regus services can be expensive, making them less affordable for small businesses or startups.
- Some customers have complained about poor customer service from Regus staff.
- Regus had faced some negative publicity for its billing practices and contracts.
Virtual office plans start from $49 per month (depending on your chosen location)
Finally, Office Evolution is often considered the best virtual office space for small and mid-sized businesses in the United States. However, what makes it so good?
Key features of Office Evolution include
- Personal mailbox (locked) or forwarded
- 24/7 workspace access
- Access nationwide
- Proper business address
- Flexible plans
- Conference rooms
- Dedicated support team
- Private office options
- Nationwide coverage
- While Office Evolution has locations within the US, it doesn’t have international locations compared to other virtual office providers.
- Each additional service comes with a cost.
Depending on your chosen location.
Virtual Office Advantages and Disadvantages:
If you’re considering setting up a virtual office for your business, you’re likely wondering if there are any downsides. Therefore, we’ve put together a few advantages and disadvantages for you to see below:
What are the virtual office advantages?
- Save money
- Obtain a professional business address
- Work remotely
- Professional mail and phone services
- Protect your home address
- Professional image for your business
What are the virtual office disadvantages?
- Working remotely can be distracting for some people.
- No set environment
- May deteriorate human connections and social interaction.
The key advantages lie within the increased flexibility, enabling you to run an office-like environment from anywhere in the world but still benefiting from a permanent mailing address and a valid phone number and phone system, allowing you to look and act professionally.
Virtual Offices FAQs:
What type of services comes with the virtual office?
Services that may be included in a virtual office package can vary but often include a professional business address, mail and package handling, phone answering and forwarding, meeting room access, and administrative support.
Is virtual office legal?
Yes. All virtual office services are legal, and you can use your virtual office address on your articles of organization.
How does mail handling work with a virtual office?
You’ll receive a mailing address when you sign up for a virtual office. The virtual office provider’s staff will receive any mail or packages sent to that address, who will forward the mail to you or hold it for pick-up at their location.
How is phone answering handled with a virtual office?
Virtual office providers often offer phone answering services, where a receptionist answers calls on behalf of your business and forwards them to you or takes messages. Some providers also offer additional features such as call screening and voicemail.
Can I use a virtual office for meetings or events?
Many virtual office providers offer access to meeting rooms, conference rooms, and other shared spaces that can be used for meetings or events. These spaces are often available for rent on an hourly or daily basis.
How much does a virtual office cost?
The cost of a virtual office can vary depending on the provider and the services included in the package. Some providers offer basic packages for as low as $40 per month. In contrast, more comprehensive packages can cost several hundred dollars per month.
What is the cheapest virtual office address?
The cheapest virtual office address provider is iPostal1. Their plans start at $39.99 for a business address, phone & fax number.
Can I use a virtual office as my registered business address?
Yes, many virtual office providers offer the option to use their address as your registered business address for official correspondence and legal documents.
Can I open a bank account with a virtual office address?
Yes. Most banks and credit card companies allow virtual mail addresses to be used as your personal address on the account.
How do you choose the best virtual office service?
Knowing the best virtual office company for you can be difficult with so many available options. However, this generally comes down to a few points:
- Where is the permanent mailing address?
- How much does it cost?
- Do you receive any other benefits or commodities?
- How good is the customer service?
It would be best to ask yourself these questions before picking a service, especially about customer service. If you use virtual receptionists and others, then these need to be friendly, leaving a good impression as all customers will interact with these people.
How do you get a virtual office address?
- Claim your virtual address from one of the above providers.
- Choose a physical location for your mailing address.
- Pick the right plan for your needs.
- Fill out the USPS 1583 form and notarize the document.
- Use your new virtual address on your articles of organization.
How do you set up a virtual office service?
Setting up a virtual office may be difficult, especially if this is the first you’ve heard about them. However, it isn’t that difficult.
First, pick an ideal virtual business address, hire a virtual assistant (some virtual offices come with staff), and submit your company name and description. After that, the rest is pretty straightforward, with your chosen virtual office service walking you through the rest and ensuring the setup process is a breeze.
After signing up for your virtual business address, you can use your new business address as your company address. You can list it on your company’s documents, website, flyers, or business cards.
We hope you enjoyed this article. If so, you might enjoy these resources: